Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Air Asia

If we are looking for inspiration from our own Made in Malaysia's business success story, perhaps the meteoric rise of Air Asia should top our list. The timing, courage and precision of the marketing decisions made by Air Asia were exemplary and its service in connecting us locally, especially between East and West Malaysia is commendable.

But as they said, starting a business is easy, keeping it well is hard. Air Asia with its sizable talent in the company has build an airline with incredible connectivity and economies of scale to keep the cost low.

However, I was unpleasantly surprised in one of my many trips with them last week.

I am not in anyway an aviation law expert but I am curious on a few things. 

Firstly, I do not understand the need for Check In if after I checked in and sat on the seats within the departure gate, I can still miss the flight without my name being called, together with another 3 passengers (who were sitting just outside the departure seats) en-route Kuching-Penang. 

Secondly, I do not understand the reason why the information that I could refund the airport tax if I missed the flight was not offered to me when I tried to purchase the next available flight. 

Perhaps I am asking too much from a low cost ticket, fair enough.

The point that I am trying to get across to esteemable leadership of Air Asia is that, low cost is not an absolute substitute to good service and trustworthy trade. 

Air Asia needs to understand if another low-cost airline rolling in, you might not be only one that can fly everyone.

Connectivity, cost and service can be build by anyone, but trustworthiness and good will; if lost, will be difficult to regain.

ACS

Kuching

No comments: