Saturday, September 07, 2013

Admin

I spent 5 years in Medical School thinking that I will do public health when I graduate from medical school.

That is why I didnt bother to apply for a job in UK to experience the first world healthcare, first hand.

At that time, I felt that my clinical skills and interests are both not up to par, and truthfully until today, I still think that my knowledge is still very lacking.

The transition started midway through housemanship. The number of sick people is so so many, and I felt the calling to do clinical.

That as a human who is entrusted with Dr infront of my name, it is my job to master clinical skills first and do the job that I am entrusted to.

I dont know how to put it in words, but I sincerely felt that is very important to try to serve using your hands and brains in clinical medicine/surgery, before embarking on Public Health or Administrative.

Also, I felt it is only when you have done 10-20 years of clinical that you would realise what is important, what is crucial, and what is not.

I can pick so many examples of unnecessary bureaucracy and unwise requirement set out by the administrative to the doctors.

For example, the SKT. Seriously, SKT is the single most useless in terms of improving our performance as doctors. I did not find the yearly appraisal of our job scope to be able to put down to papers, as our appraisal stem from the time we spent with patients and ward.

I did Business and Management as Diploma, and actually I am highly researched on the aspect of Human Resource Management and I can tell you in all honesty, this half yearly appraisal doesn't work well in Medicine.

And the worst is that this SKT marks is taking into account in the further postgraduate applications.

But unfortunately, the administration think otherwise, but of course, it is in their wisdom and I am just stating my point of view.

The people that are sitting in the administrative offices making adminstrative decisions must be those who have adequate medical and clinical experience, in my opinion.

Young doctors should gain more clinical experience, and that is important.

I used to tell one of my friend;

Administrative is for those who really really wants to make change to clinical settings, and knows how to;

or those who really really needs a life; and time with family; and not bother with the above.

If you are neither, then it is probably better dont go in yet.

Once the inertia set it, we would lose a Dr in service, and sadly gain a paid (highly) secretary with 5 years medical school training.

And may I humbly said that the 5 years medical school training does not differ you from a 2-3 years MBA trained administrator.

Anyone can do admin, and of course you can argue that some can do better;

but when you can treat, why not treat first?

then admin later;

#rant.

No comments: