Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Government Doctors

There are pros and cons to be working in the public sector as doctors.

Let us always think of the bright side and thus, talking about the pros first.

before that let me assure you that I did not give a pre thinking before typing this post, meaning to say this entire article is produced impromptu and thus forgive me if there are lots of flights of ideas and jumbled thoughts across.

The major advantage as a practicing doctor in government service, to me is the chance to educate junior doctors.

Medicine is such a field that our decisions or practices are turun temurun rather than learning by the books. Until today I still havent look it up in the books regarding the many many practices that was told to me and I have done them for years. For example; why we need to take the calcium level without cuffs, why fluid restriction for heart failure is 800ml or 1L/day, why Fondaparinux is given for 3 days, 5 days and not 2 days or 4 days?

Indeed I enjoy my rounds with juniors as when I impart what I know, I then realise what I know. It is difficult to gauge otherwise.

However, that is provided that there is no overcrowding of patients, that lead to just finish the job as there are so many many many jobs awaiting.

Unfortunately, that is always the case.

Second advantage of working in government is my this sentence;

Uncle, I am trying to help you. Whether you listen or not, whether you follow my advice or not, my pay is still the same. I do not get extra money for telling you again and again, nor I get my pay cut if I dont advise you.

The above is actually my favourite sentence. Many patients I met, think that we doctors in government dont know much therefore we still stuck in government. I never doubted the private doctors, in fact I will accept the diagnosis of private practitioner with extra weightage because they are usually the senior doctors with golden years of practices in medicine, seen much more than the entire medical library.

But there is so much resistance in the patient's acceptability. And may I be racist - especially the Chinese and Indians. Sorry Malaysian.

Third advantage of working in government is to be a real doctors without considering cost, to some extent.

I hate the part when I called private centre to ask for price for my patients who cant weight in the emergency red zone. For example when they have a heart attack and they are aware of Primary PCI and they wanted to have it done ASAP in private.

I felt, so, not, doctor, of us.

Of course, the counter argument is that we are not god, and the private doctors and hospitals also have mouth to feed.

I dont know, many a times, not once or twice, it is tempting to leave this profession and get a life I have always wanted; office desk job 9am-5pm, with regular meals break, and weekend to either enjoy some hobby or work extra for assignments.

But nowadays, it is getting harder and harder to work in government doctors.

Paperwork, paperwork and paperwork.

Bureaucracy, bureaucracy

Punch card during normal days if not done properly, we received explanation letters.
Did not punch out after a 36 hours oncall sometimes, we have to go through some steps to get our RM200 for that call.
Applying leave to rest, we need to make sure it is not clinic days, not busy days, no other colleagues have emergency or sickness, or else everyone plus the patients will suffer from waiting time in clinic or in ward.
Did not wear tie to work, we get our names mentioned.
Complained to newspapers, we are seen as rebellious (like this post)

We are not paid handsomely as some might think, and everyone in my pangkat are paid the same despite different job scope.

We cant be that charitable all our lives.

But really, my dear readers, everyone has a breaking point.

No comments: